Sunday, February 19, 2012

What I've Learned About Wine

In my quest to rid myself of ignorance, I have decided to first investigate the alluring topic of fine wines.  On multiple occasions, I have found myself shopping for a bottle of wine to bring to a dinner party and realized that I really don’t know what qualities distinguish one type of wine from another. With that in mind I have compiled a list of the most popular types of white and red wines and described their unique tastes. 

 
White Wine Types

Chardonnay
Taste: citrus, melon, butter, hint of oak

Sauvignon Blanc
Taste: green apples, pears, grass, touch of smoke

Riesling
Taste: sweeter
Suggested Meal: poultry, fish, pork, desert, light cheeses


 

Gewurtztraminer
Taste: sweet, distinctive spicy flavor and aroma
Suggested Meal: spicy foods Indian or Asian dishes

Blended wines
Taste: mingle flavors of different grapes
Suggested Meal: good all around table wine


Fun Fact
This News Years I spent several minutes in a wine and spirits wondering what the difference is between champagne and sparkling wine.  Evidently, Champagne is a term used to describe sparkling white wines that originate from the champagne wine-producing region of France.  Other than their origin, there is no real difference between Champagnes and Sparkling wines.
 
Red Wine Types

Merlot
Taste: smooth soft taste, berries, herbs good introductory red wine
Suggested Meal: meat and fish

Cabernet Sauvignon
Taste: hearty, peppery, oaky and spicy flavor
Suggested Meal: red meat, pasta, lamb
  
 
 

Zinfandel
Taste: complex, hearty, oaky, with berry aftertaste
Suggested Meal: spaghetti, lasagna, and pizza

Pinot Noir
Taste: cherry, plum, tealeaf
Fun fact: The grapes used to produce Pinot Noir are very difficult to grow making it a more valued wine


1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I never realized the different tastes. I'm printing this out for the next time I have a glass of wine. :)

    ReplyDelete